Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Mauve Glow Swatches & Review


This month, for the first time, I decided to give Avon cosmetics a shot. Due to a sale and free shipping I selected the following items:

  • Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Mauve Glow
  • Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Golden Blossom
  • Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Chocolate Creme
  • Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Sunkissed
  • Avon True Color Eyeshadow Quad in Caribbean Sunset

This review is for the duo in Mauve Glow, as stated in the title, obviously  ; )


Avon True Color Eyeshadow Duo in Mauve Glow Swatches & Review
 
 
Avon.com is currently offering 3 of their True Color Eyeshadow Duos for $9.99. As I try to keep my monthly beauty budget relatively small at $25 the price was right for me to try these out (normally $7 each).
 
The Avon website doesn't give very good product representation, so I wasn't sure what to expect. From the images provided I did my best to select colors that I thought would be suitable for everyday wear and that would have a single color I could sweep on for an easy daytime, middle-of-summer-busy-mom look and have a complimentary shade to play it up on those rare (very rare, oh-so-rare) adult time nights.
 
My first impression was slight disappointment as each of my compacts seemed to be slightly scuffed up, though the boxes were new and the products appeared untouched. I was definitely a little perplexed and put-off. They weren't ruined, just little scratch marks here and there. Not the smooth, shiny cases I had envisioned!
 
Upon opening Mauve Glow, however, I was a little confused. The colors didn't exactly say 'mauve' to me. Swatching them didn't really solve the name confusion, either:
 
Top swatches without primer on bare, clean skin
 
The dark color just looks very smokey purple/plum to me, and the lighter color seems very silvery lilac. The lighter color has a frosty satin finish and the darker one is like a satin with micro glitter thrown in. 
 
But you know what? They are exactly the type of shades I was looking for. The silvery lilac I can easily wear all day as a single wash of color, and the dark color works perfectly to be smudged along the outer lashes, into the crease and beneath the lower lashes. For $3.33? Pshhh. I am beyond pleased.
 
As you can see, these girls definitely need a primer. Without the primer they are definitely messy, streaky and muddy. This is o.k. with me as I wear the Revlon primer/brightener even if I am skipping the shadow. It's just part of my routine.
 
The shadows are rather soft, a little bit of a powdery feeling, but I am personally pleased.
 
I've found so far I can wear the lighter shade for up to 9 hours with the Revlon primer and not experience any creasy, flaking, fading or fallout. I don't know beyond that, but they certainly have served my purposes. I have not wear-tested the darker color yet.
 

Recommended: Yes.

ETA 6/20/2013: Looks like I will be repurchasing this sooner than expected! I pulled it out to get to something else, then knocked it off of my counter and smashed it on my marble floor. DESTROYED!! The lilac is still usable, but I lost almost all of the dark purple.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment